Rules for Using PASMO
Use of PASMO shall be governed by "Rules for Using PASMO" rules established by PASMO Co., Ltd. As set forth below.
Effective: February 1, 2007
Latest revision: October 6, 2020
Chapter 1 General Rules
These rules set forth service content and conditions for use of a card containing an embedded IC chip or comparable device that is used for recording monetary value (hereinafter referred to as a "PASMO card") that is issued by PASMO Co., Ltd. (hereinafter, "the Company"), and are established for the purpose of enhancing user convenience and promoting proper use of the product.
(Scope of Applicability)
The use of PASMO will be governed by the rules stipulated herein.
- Use of PASMO on portable data terminals or designated portable data terminals is not governed exclusively by these rules, but is subject to a Special Provision to the Rules for Using PASMO.
- Transportation and other use by passengers using PASMO shall be in accordance with the passenger business rules established by the PASMO accommodating business as stipulated in Article 3, clause 1, sub-paragraph (1).
- Rules governing use of PASMO for purchase of goods and services (hereinafter, "electronic payment") at PASMO member stores as set forth in Article 3, clause 1, paragraph 12 are as stipulated in the PASMO Electronic Money Handling Rules.
- Rules governing handling of integrated PASMO for services provided by third parties with which the Company has cooperative arrangements (hereinafter, "partners") shall be as stipulated by such partners.
- The Company may make considerable changes to these Rules and related provisions. In such cases, the Company will post the timing and details of the revisions on our website in advance.
- At such time as these Rules are revised, the use of PASMO will be governed by the revised Rules.
- Matters not stipulated in these Rules shall be governed by extant laws and regulations.
(Meaning of Terms)
Meanings of main terms used in these Rules are as explained in the paragraphs below.
- (1) "PASMO handling business" is a generic term for railway and bus companies set forth separately who are recognized as accepting PASMO by the Company.
- (2) A "blank PASMO card" is a PASMO card on which no user information is recorded, and which may be used by any bearer.
- (3) A "named PASMO card" is one on which information such as the user's name, gender and birth date has been recorded, and which is provided for the specific use of the person named.
- (4) An "adult PASMO card" is a named PASMO card whose named bearer is an adult.
- (5) A "child PASMO card" is a named PASMO card whose named bearer is a child and which can only be used by a child.
- (6) An "other company's IC card" is an IC card issued by a company other than the Company on which monetary value can be recorded, and which can be used as a rail ticked or for paying for goods and services at PASMO handling business or PASMO member stores under a mutual use agreement between the issuer and the Company.
(Reference: Other companies' IC cards are as follows.)
- (i) "Kitaca" issued by Hokkaido Railway Company
- (ii) "Suica" issued by East Japan Railway Company
- (iii) "Monorail Suica" issued by Tokyo Monorail Co., Ltd.
- (iv) "Rinkai Suica" issued by Tokyo Waterfront Area Rapid Transit Inc.
- (v) "TOICA" issued by Central Japan Railway Company
- (vi) "manaca" issued by Nagoya Transportation
- (vii) "manaca" issued by MIC Co., Ltd.
- (viii) IC cards issued by SURUTTO KANSAI
- (ix) "ICOCA" issued by West Japan Railway Company
- (x) "Hayakaken" issued by the Fukuoka City Transportation Bureau
- (xi) "nimoca" issued by NIMOCA CO., LTD.
- (xii) "SUGOCA" issued by Kyushu Railway Company
- (7) A "Child IC card" is a Named IC card whose named bearer is an child and which is provided for use by a child.
- (8) "integrated PASMO" refers to named PASMO that is issued on card-type data recording media which is integrated with a partner's service functionality.
- (9) "Value" refers to the monetary value that is recorded on PASMO and exchanged for passenger fares and buying tickets, etc., established by PASMO handling businesses as stipulated in Article 1, or applied to electronic payment at PASMO member stores set forth in Article 12.
- (10)"Top up" means to add value to PASMO.
- (11)"Deposit" refers to an amount that the Company collects in exchange for the right to use PASMO on condition that it will be returned.
- (12)"PASMO member store" means a member store specified in the PASMO Electronic Money Handling Rules.
- (13)"Group company" refers to the parent company, subsidiaries and affiliates of a PASMO handling business (where in each instance terminology and format/preparation of financial statements are as set forth in corporate law and related regulations; same applies hereinafter) and to subsidiaries and affiliates of the parent company of a PASMO handling business as stipulated in Article 1.
(Conclusion of Contract)
A contractual agreement regarding use of PASMO will be deemed established between user and Company when the Company issues PASMO to the user.
- Notwithstanding the foregoing paragraph, establishment of a contractual agreement regarding integrated PASMO shall be as stipulated in the contract for the relevant PASMO.
(Method of Use and Restrictions)
PASMO may be used to pay for passenger fares, etc., at PASMO handling businesses, and for electronic payments at PASMO member stores.
- The signature space on a named PASMO card (excluding integrated PASMO) must be filled in with the name that is recorded in the relevant named PASMO card.
- A named PASMO card may not be used by anyone other than the person whose name is recorded on that named PASMO card.
- A child PASMO card may not be used after its expiration date. Moreover, an integrated PASMO may not be used from the day following its expiration date (when indicated as a year and month, the last day of the indicated month)
- PASMO must only be used with the processing devices provided at PASMO handling businesses and PASMO member stores (hereinafter, "specified devices").
Notwithstanding the foregoing paragraph, use of PASMO with specified devices is not possible when circumstances pertain as indicated in the paragraphs below.
- (1) When the contents of the PASMO cannot be read due to damage to the PASMO, malfunction of the specified device or circumstances such as natural disaster.
- (2) When a named PASMO card or blank PASMO card as set forth separately by the Company is not used for any transaction within the period of time from the day following the last topping up or use in a transaction as set forth separately by the Company.
- (3) For integrated PASMO, when its use is not possible due to the convenience of the partner.
- The value of a PASMO cannot be used if that PASMO or its monetary balance has been forged, illegitimately modified, or obtained under false pretenses.
(Handling of Personal Information)
The Company shall manage personal information acquires from applications as set forth in the following paragraphs involving named PASMO (here and hereinafter meaning information regarding living persons, including names, birth dates and other information that can be used to identify individuals).
- (1) Purchase of a named PASMO card
- (2) Conversion of blank PASMO card to named PASMO card
- (3) Modification of information on named PASMO card
- The Company will use personal information that it acquires for purposes set forth in the following paragraphs.
- (1) Verification of information contained in applications for purchase, modification or refund of named PASMO
- (2) Verification of user contact information in the event that the Company needs to contact the user
- (3) Implementation and improvement of services related to named PASMO as set forth in these rules and the passenger business rules of PASMO handling businesses
- (4) Implementation and improvement of service related to IC cards issued by other companies on commission from companies engaged in third-party IC card business
- The Company notifies railway and bus companies of acquired personal information in response to requests from railway and bus companies that accept related PASMO within the scope of the previous paragraph.
- Applications mentioned in the first paragraph of this Article will not be accepted from parties not agreeing to the foregoing paragraphs.
(Shared Use of Personal Information)
The Company will share information provided by the user, such as their name, gender, birth date, telephone number and usage history, with businesses that handle PASMO and group companies for the purposes indicated in the paragraphs below.
- (1) Business analysis of services related to named PASMO that are provided by the Company and PASMO handling business
- (2) Activities such as market research and research and development by the Company and businesses that handle PASMO
- (3) Market research involving services related to named PASMO that are provided by the Company and PASMO handling businesses
- (4) Advertising and marketing of services related to named PASMO that are provided by the Company and PASMO handling businesses
- (5) Studies aimed at improving services related to named PASMO that are provided by the Company and PASMO handling businesses
- The Company shall be the party responsible for managing personal set forth in the foregoing paragraph.
The user approves and agrees to rules set forth herein and related rules.
(Places Accommodating Use)
PASMO is handled by the Company, IC card handling businesses and PASMO member stores.
- Specific locations shall be as set forth separately.
(Limitations and Termination)
The Company may suspend, limit, interrupt or terminate handling of PASMO at PASMO handling business and PASMO member stores under the conditions set forth in the following paragraphs.
- (1) When the Company determines that PASMO service is not feasible due to situations such as natural disaster, power outage, maintenance of communications facilities by telecommunication carriers, inspection, abnormality, or problems with computer systems.
- (2) When the Company determines that PASMO service must be suspended due to unavoidable circumstances, such as computer system maintenance, inspection or malfunction.
- (3) When the systems managed and operated by the Company malfunction or require maintenance or inspection
- (4) When the Company voluntarily determines that there is a need to terminate PASMO service
- (5) When service cannot provided due to other unavoidable circumstances.
- The Company will provide notification of interruption or termination of PASMO service to its web site. However, such notification may not be provided in the event that such interrupt or termination of service is necessitated abruptly.
- The Company will not be liable for any damages or other loss caused by restriction or termination of services under this article.
(Ownership of PASMO)
The Company retains right of ownership of PASMO.
- When PASMO is no longer needed by the user or has expired, the user must return PASMO to the Company. However, in the case of integrated PASMO, disposition shall be as determined by the governing contract.
At time of sale of PASMO, the Company shall collect 500 yen per PASMO as a deposit.
- When the user returns PASMO, the Company shall refund the deposit as stipulated in Article 20 or Article 24.
- The amount of the deposit cannot be applied to purchase of travel fares or electronic payments.
- Notwithstanding the foregoing paragraphs, the Company will not collect a deposit for integrated PASMO.
( See Article 20, Loss and Reissue, and Article 24, Refund )
(Invalidation of PASMO)
A PASMO shall expire if it is not replaced, used or topped up for a period of 10 years beginning from the day following the last such transaction.
- Notwithstanding the foregoing paragraphs and the rules for auto-charge handling, if an integrated PASMO cannot be delivered to the user, it will expire as stipulated in the contract governing that PASMO.
- Notwithstanding the foregoing paragraphs, named PASMO with the status of a lost item will expire at the end of the reporting period.
- Unless specifically allowed by the Company, once a PASMO has expired as set forth in the foregoing paragraphs, requests for refund of monetary balance or deposit will not be accepted.
Chapter 2 Sale of PASMO
(Sale of PASMO)
A blank PASMO card shall be sold to customers who ask to purchase a blank PASMO card.
- A named PASMO card (excluding integrated PASMO, both here and in the remainder of this Article) shall be sold upon request, including provision of the applicant's name, birthrate and gender.
- A child PASMO card will be sold upon request and provision of the name, birthrate, gender and telephone number of the applicant, and when official documentation as stipulated separately is presented, such child PASMO card will expire on March 31 of the calendar year in which the child becomes reaches the age of 12 years.
- Except as otherwise authorized by the Company, no more than one child PASMO card will be issued for use by the same person.
- In the case of integrated PASMO, sale shall be made in accordance with the governing contract.
The sale price of PASMO will be 1,000 yen (including 500 yen deposit).
- Notwithstanding the foregoing paragraph, the sale price may be altered by the Company or PASMO handling business. However, the sale price will always be an even multiple of 1,000 yen, not to exceed 20,000 yen.
- Notwithstanding the foregoing paragraphs, PASMO may be sold for 500 yen (including the 500 yen deposit) in cases recognized by the Company.
PASMO can be topped up at specified terminal devices.
- Except under circumstances recognized by the Company, PASMO will be topped up in monetary increments of 1,000 yen. However, the value of the balance on an individual card may not exceed 20,000 yen.
- Notwithstanding the foregoing paragraphs, PASMO may not be charged using the monetary value on another IC card.
(Verification of Balance)
The monetary balance remaining on a PASMO can be verified at specified terminal devices.
- The history of transactions and monetary balances can be displayed or printed for the last 20 tractions on specified terminal devices.
- Notwithstanding the foregoing paragraph, display or printing of the transaction history is not possible under circumstances described in the following paragraphs.
- (1) Balance history cannot be displayed/printed for a PASMO for which exit processing has not been completed.
- (2) Balance history cannot be displayed/printed for a PASMO for which processing has not been completed by a specified terminal device.
- (3) Balance history cannot be displayed/printed for a PASMO that has been reissued as stipulated in Article 20 or Article 21.
- (4) Balance history cannot be displayed/printed for a PASMO that has been replaced as stipulated in Article 22.
( See Article 20, Reissue Upon Loss, Article 21, Reissue Due to Defect and Article 22, PASMO Replacement and Transfer )
Chapter 3 Validity
(Re-lettering of Named PASMO)
Named PASMO cannot be used if the information that is supposed to appear on its face (hereinafter, "card face entries") is not legible.
- When the card face entries on a named PASMO becomes illegible, it shall promptly be presented for re-lettering.
(Modification of information on named PASMO)
A named PASMO may not be used if any difference arises between the users personal information and information recorded on the named PASMO due to a name change or other circumstances.
- In the situation indicated in the foregoing paragraph, the user shall promptly submit an application for change of personal information and present official documentation (with such information showing the post-change name in the event of a name change). In the case of integrated PASMO, in addition to applying for change of personal information, such other procedures as are required by the contract shall be completed.
The PASMO will be deemed invalid and confiscated in the event of any of the situations described in the following paragraphs. In such cases, neither the deposit nor the monetary balance recorded on the PASMO or passenger ticket shall be returned.
- (1) If a named PASMO is used by anyone other than the person named
- (2) if the PASMO card face entries on named PASMO are illegible
- (3) If a child PASMO card was purchased using fraudulent qualifications, name, birth date, gender or telephone number
- (4) If the PASMO card face entries have been altered or erased
- (5) If the PASMO or its monetary balance has been forged, illegitimately modified, or obtained under false pretenses
- (6) If the PASMO is determined to have been intentionally damaged by the user or damaged due to gross negligence
- (7) When it is determined that any other illegitimate activity has taken place
- The Company shall not be liable for any damages or other loss arising out of confiscation due to circumstances set forth in the foregoing paragraphs.
Chapter 4 Reissue and Replacement
(Reissue Upon Loss)
Replacement of a lost or stolen blank PASMO card is not possible.
- Provided the conditions set forth in the following paragraphs are met, if a named PASMO is lost, use of the lost PASMO can be suspended and a form required for issue of a replacement (referred to below as a "reissue control slip") can be issued upon submission an application as set forth separately.
- (1) When submitting the application, the person applying for reissue must prove that they are the holder of the named PASMO by presenting an official document.
- (2) The name, birth date and gender of the named holder must be registered in the Company's system.
- A named PASMO which has been suspended in accordance with the preceding paragraph will be reissued if the user requests reissue within 14 days from the day following the date of issue of the reissue control form provided that conditions 1 and 2 have been satisfied and only on a card with a different card number than that stamped on the back of the relevant named PASMO. Furthermore, PASMO functionality will only be reissued for an integrated PASMO upon satisfaction of conditions 1 through 4 below.
- (1) The person applying for reissue must prove that they are the holder of the named PASMO by presenting an official document.
- (2) The user must submit the reissue control form provided to them as set forth above.
- (3) The user must provide a medium issued by one of its partners to be used for reissue.
- (4) The user must present the notification provided by the Company in regard to the reissue medium.
- Upon reissue processing as set forth in the preceding paragraph, a fee processing fee of 520 yen and a deposit of 500 yen shall be collected for each named PASMO that is reissued. However, no deposit will be collected for reissue of an integrated PASMO.
- Once application for suspension of a named PASMO has been submitted, the application cannot be canceled. Furthermore, if a named PASMO that has been lost is rediscovered, it cannot be used as the medium for reissue of a named PASMO.
- If a lost PASMO is rediscovered following fulfillment of conditions set forth in paragraphs (2) to (4), if the Company has collected a deposit for that PASMO, the user may request that the deposit be refunded. In such case, the deposit will only be refunded if the user submits the relevant PASMO together with an application as set for separately and also presents an official document as proof of identity as the named holder. In such case, the relevant PASMO will not be returned under any circumstances.
(Reissue Due to Defect)
When a PASMO cannot be used with designated devices because it is defective, a reissue control form will be issued upon submission of an application as set forth separately and presentation of the relevant PASMO.
- Such PASMO for which a reissue control form has been issued as stipulated in the preceding paragraph will be reissued under a different reverse-side card number only upon fulfillment of the first and second conditions set forth and application by the user within 14 days from the day following issue of the reissue control form. In such case, the relevant PASMO will not be returned under any circumstances. Furthermore, PASMO functionality will only be reissued for an integrated PASMO upon satisfaction of conditions 1, 3 and 4 below.
- (1) The user must submit the reissue control form provided to them as set forth above.
- (2) The user must submit the relevant PASMO.
- (3) The user must provide a medium issued by one of its partners to be used for reissue.
- (4) The user must present the defective integrated PASMO together with the notification regarding reissue of the medium from the Company and the partner.
- Once application for reissue due to defect of the PASMO has been submitted, the application cannot be canceled. Furthermore, the medium concerned cannot be used as the medium for reissue of the PASMO.
- Under no circumstances will the PASMO be reissued if any of the following paragraphs apply. Furthermore, in such case, the 500 yen deposit will not be refunded even if the Company has been collected it against the PASMO in question.
- (1) If the number on the reverse side of the card is illegible.
- (2) If the PASMO is determined to have been intentionally damaged by the user, damaged due to gross negligence or canceled per Article 19, paragraph 6.
( See Article 19, Upon Invalidation )
(Replacement or Reassignment of PASMO)
The PASMO used by the user may, without prior notice, be exchanged for a PASMO with a card number different from that stamped on the back of the PASMO being replaced due to circumstances of the company, the PASMO handling business operator, or the affiliate cooperating with the Company in regard to integrated PASMO. Except for integrated PASMO, in such cases the original PASMO will not be returned to the user for any reason.
- When the user of an integrated PASMO requires its replacement due expiration of the medium or a change in personal information associated with the medium, once the replacement medium is received from the company and its affiliate, the user must present the integrated PASMO that is currently being used and that is eligible for replacement together with the medium that is to serve as the replacement to the PASMO handling company and perform the procedure for transferring PASMO functionality to the replacement medium. At this time, the user must present the notification provided by the Company in regard to the reissue medium.
- When the user requests the transfer of their named PASMO functionality from their current integrated PASMO by a PASMO handling business that is capable of handling the transfer of integrated PASMO, named PASMO functionality is transferred from the user's integrated PASMO to a PASMO that is available from the handling point, and an application is submitted as set forth separately together with presentation of official documentation proving the user's identity, the transaction will be deemed equivalent to refunding the integrated PASMO and sale of PASMO. Furthermore, if there is any special provision in the contract governing the integrated PASMO, the transaction shall be governed by that provision.
- Following replacement as set forth in the second paragraph or transfer as set forth in the third paragraph, it will not be possible to cancel termination or restore the functionality of the pre-replacement or pre-transfer PASMO or to transfer the functionality of a transferred PASMO to another separate integrated PASMO.
(See Article 13, Sale of PASMO, and Article 24, Refund )
The Company shall bear no liability for any loss or damage incurred by the user resulting from the change in card number stamped on the reverse of the PASMO that occurs due to PASMO reissue or replacement.
- The Company will not be liable for damages incurred by the user that arise from use of value, monetary balance, refunds or the like subsequent to loss of a named PASMO during such period as reissue processing has not been performed or during the day on which reissue control form is issued.
- As regards integrated PASMO, the Company shall not be liable for any damages incurred by the user that are attributable to the Company's affiliate or for any damages related to functionality of services provided by the affiliate.
- The Company will not be liable for any damages, etc., incurred by the user in relation to PASMO-based services not set forth in these rules (other than those provided by the Company).
Chapter 5 Refund
When PASMO is no longer needed, the user may request refund of the monetary balance subject to approval by the Company and return of the relevant PASMO or (in case of integrated PASMO) termination of its functionality.
- When refund of a PASMO card is requested as stipulated in the foregoing paragraph, the Company will make refund to the bear of an blank PASMO card, and in the case of a named PASMO card will make refund only upon submission of an application as set forth separately together with presentation of official documentation proving that the applicant is the user named on the PASMO card.
- When making refund as set forth in the foregoing paragraph, the Company will also refund the deposit.
- Once a request for refund of a PASMO has been submitted, cancellation of the refund or restoration of the PASMO functionality shall not be possible.
- In addition to the stipulations in the foregoing paragraphs, any separate provisions included in the contract for integrated PASMO shall also apply such refund is made against such PASMO.
Chapter 6 Special Handling
(Modification of PASMO)
When the user presents a blank PASMO card and requests that it be converted to a named PASMO card, the terms set forth in Article 13, paragraphs 2 through 4 governing sale of named PASMO card shall apply mutatis mutandis to conversion. Furthermore, conversion of a named PASMO card to a blank PASMO card is not possible.
- When a user submits a child PASMO card upon expiration of its period of validity, it will be converted to an adult PASMO card upon request by the user.
( See Article 13, Sale of PASMO )
Chapter 7 Reciprocal Use of IC Cards
(Handling of PASMO by Other Business Operators)
Notwithstanding the stipulations of Article 8, PASMO can be handled by businesses other than the Company that issue IC cards or which are recognized as user businesses by such businesses, or at member stores authorized to accept its use for electronic payments by businesses other than the Company that issue IC cards or which are recognized as user businesses by such businesses.
- When PASMO is used as a passenger ticket, etc., as stipulated in the foregoing paragraph, its use shall be governed by the rules of that business. Furthermore, when PASMO is used for electronic payments, is use will be governed by PASMO Electronic Money Handling Rules.
( See Article 5, Method of Use and Restrictions )
(Handling of Other Companies' IC cards)
IC cards issued by other companies are handled by PASMO handling business and PASMO member stores.
- Use of IC cards issued by other companies as passenger tickets, etc., by PASMO handling businesses will be governed by the passenger business rules of the PASMO handling business.
- Use of an IC card issued by another company to pay for products and services, etc., at PASMO member stores will be governed by that IC card issuer's rules.
(Restriction on Sale of Child IC Cards)
Except as otherwise recognized by the Company, a child PASMO card shall not be sold to any user that already possesses a child IC card.
(Shared Use of Personal Information)
The Company will share user information limited to name, birth date, gender and telephone number with the issuer of an IC card issued by companies listed in Article 3, paragraph 1, sub-paragraphs 6-ii, iii and iv for the purpose of verification of contents of applications for sale of child IC cards.
- The East Japan Railway Company shall have responsibility for management of personal information shared as set forth in the foregoing paragraph.
Chapter 8 Miscellaneous Rules
In the event that any dispute requiring adjudication arises between the Company and the user regarding PASMO, the Tokyo District Court or the Tokyo Summary Court shall have exclusive jurisdiction of the first instance with respect thereto.