PASMO PASSPORT Agreement
Rules for Using PASMO PASSPORT
Effective: September 1, 2019
Latest revision: March 18, 2020
Chapter 1 General Rules
These rules set forth service content and conditions of use for a card containing an IC chip that is used for recording monetary value (hereinafter referred to as “PASMO PASSPORT”) which is being made available exclusively for foreigners visiting Japan as tourists by Pasmo Co., Ltd. (hereinafter, “the Company”) for the purpose of enhancing user convenience and facilitating proper use of the product.
(Scope of Applicability)
In addition to matters set forth in the PASMO Handling Rules, use of PASMO PASSPORT shall be governed by the rules set forth herein, as well as by the following paragraphs.
- (1) Transportation and other use by foreign passengers using PASMO PASSPORT shall be in accordance with IC card ticket handling rules for IC card handling businesses as prescribed in Article 3, Paragraph 1, Item 1.
- (2) The PASMO Electronic Money Handling Rules set forth in Article 3, Paragraph 1, Item 5 shall apply mutatis mutandis (except as set forth in Article 10) to use related to the purchase of goods and services (hereinafter referred to as “electronic money transactions”) at PASMO member stores. In such instances, the term “PASMO” in the description of Items 1 and 2 of Article 3, paragraph 1 of these Rules shall include the meaning of “PASMO PASSPORT.”
- At such time as these Rules are revised, the use of PASMO PASSPORT will be governed by the revised Rules.
- The Company may make substantial changes to these rules. In case revisions are made, the Company will post the timing and details of the revisions on our website in advance.
- Matters not stipulated in these Rules shall be governed by extant laws and regulations.
(Meaning of Terms)
Meanings of main terms used in these Rules are as explained in the paragraphs below.
- (1) “IC card handling business” is a generic term for companies that are admitted by the Company to handle PASMO PASSPORT.
- (2) Child PASMO PASSPORT means a PASMO PASSPORT issued according to the procedure described in Article 11, paragraph 2 which can only be used by the child for whom it is issued.
- (3) “Value” refers to the monetary value that is recorded on a PASMO PASSPORT for use in paying for passenger fares and buying tickets, etc., specified by IC card handling businesses set forth in Article 1, etc., or for paying for goods as services when PASMO PASSPORT is used for electronic money transactions at member stores set forth in Article 5.
- (4) "Top up" means to add value to PASMO PASSPORT.
- (5) “PASMO member store” means a member store specified in the PASMO Electronic Money Handling Rules.
- (6) “Foreign traveler to Japan” means a person who has a passport issued by a government or recognized authority other than Japan.
- (7) In this paragraph and hereafter, “group company” means a parent company, subsidiary or affiliate (for which the nomenclature, format and means of formation of such of entity, its financial papers and so forth are as set forth in the Companies Act) of an IC card handling business set forth in Article 1, including such IC card handling business.
(Conclusion of Contract)
A contractual agreement regarding use of PASMO PASSPORT will be deemed established between user and Company when the Company issues PASMO PASSPORT to the user.
(Method of Use and Restrictions)
PASMO PASSPORT must be used at IC card handling businesses or PASMO member stores that are equipped with equipment capable of processing transactions using PASMO PASSPORT (hereinafter, “Specified Equipment”).
Notwithstanding the preceding paragraph, PASMO PASSPORT cannot be used with Specified Equipment in the cases described in any of the following paragraphs.
- (1) If PASMO PASSPORT has been damaged.
- (2) If the Specified Equipment has been damaged or cannot be used to read information from PASMO PASSPORT due to natural disaster or similar circumstances.
- A PASMO PASSPORT cannot be used if it is a forgery, or if the monetary value that it contains has been illegitimately added or modified.
The user agrees to these Rules and the provisions established thereunder.
(Places Accommodating Use)
PASMO PASSPORT is handled by the Company, IC card handling businesses and PASMO member stores.
(Limitations and Termination)
The Company may limit or terminate handling of PASMO PASSPORT at IC card handling businesses and PASMO member stores under any of the conditions described in the following paragraphs..
- (1) When the Company determines that handling of PASMO PASSPORT is not feasible due to situations such as natural disaster, power outage, trouble with the communication equipment of telecommunication carriers, or malfunction of computer systems
- (2) When the Company determines that it is necessary to stop handling of PASMO PASSPORT due to unavoidable circumstances, such as maintenance of computer systems
(Ownership of PASMO PASSPORT)
The Company retains right of ownership of PASMO PASSPORT.
- In case the situation described in Article 17 pertains to the user, the user must return PASMO PASSPORT to the Company.
- The user must return the relevant PASMO PASSPORT to the Company when it loses validity as set forth in Article 10, paragraph (1) or when the user requests a refund of value remaining on PASMO PASSPORT according to Article 18, paragraph (2).
(Invalidation of PASMO PASSPORT)
PASMO PASSPORT shall expire upon arrival of the expiration date set forth in Article 15, paragraph 1.
- When PASMO PASSPORT has expired, the user may not request the refund of any remaining value.
（→Article 15 Expiration Date）
Chapter 2 Sale of PASMO PASSPORT
(Sale of PASMO PASSPORT)
When a foreign visitor to Japan applies to purchase PASMO PASSPORT, the Company or the IC card handling business will sell PASMO PASSPORT upon presentation by the foreign visitor of his or her passport.
- When a foreign visitor to Japan applies to purchase Child PASMO PASSPORT, the Company or IC card handling business will sell Child PASMO PASSPORT only upon presentation by the foreign visitor of his or her passport and upon verification that the child for whom Child PASMO PASSPORT is being purchased will reach the end of its period of validity before March 31 following the date the child reaches 12 years of age.
- Except in cases where the Company has determined otherwise, PASMO PASSPORTS sold in accordance with the preceding paragraph shall include a monetary value at the time of sale by the Company or IC card handling business. However, the value may not exceed 20,000 yen.
When a foreign visitor to Japan applies to purchase PASMO PASSPORT according to the preceding Article, a fee of 500 yen will be assessed for the expense related to issuance of each PASMO PASSPORT issued.
- The issuance fee described in the preceding paragraph will not be refunded to the user under any circumstances, such as when the user returns the PASMO PASSPORT to the Company.
PASMO PASSPORT can be topped up at specified terminal devices.
- Except under circumstances recognized by the Company, PASMO PASSPORT will be topped up in monetary increments of 1,000 yen. However, the value of the balance on an individual card may not exceed 20,000 yen.
- Notwithstanding the foregoing paragraph, PASMO PASSPORT cannot be topped up using the value contained on another IC card.
(Verification of Balance)
The monetary balance remaining on a PASMO PASSPORT can be verified at specified terminal devices.
- The history of transactions and monetary balances can be displayed or printed for the last 20 tractions on specified terminal devices.
- Notwithstanding the foregoing paragraph, display or printing of the transaction history is not possible under circumstances described in the following paragraphs.
- (1) Balance history cannot be displayed/printed for a PASMO PASSPORT for which exit processing has not been completed.
- (2) Balance history cannot be displayed/printed for a PASMO PASSPORT for which processing has not been completed by a specified terminal device.
Chapter 3 Validity
No PASMO PASSPORT may be used beyond the 28th day (hereinafter, the “Expiration Date”) after the date on which it is sold.
- The Expiration Date specified in the preceding paragraph can be confirmed using specified terminal devices or the Reference Paper described in Article 16.
- Child PASMO PASSPORT cannot be used even within the time limit set forth in paragraph 1 if the current date is beyond March 31 of the year when the child turns 12 years of age.
（→Article 16 Carrying Reference Paper）
(Carrying Reference Paper)
The user of PASMO PASSPORT will carry on his or her person the information record (hereinafter, the “Reference Paper”) from which the PASMO PASSPORT registration information can be confirmed.
- In addition to the provisions of the preceding paragraph, the PASMO PASSPORT user will present the Reference Paper for inspection upon request of the Company or IC card handling business.
- In the event that the PASMO PASSPORT Reference Paper is lost, the user will promptly present the PASMO PASSPORT to the IC card handling business and request that the Reference Paper be reprinted.
The PASMO PASSPORT will be deemed invalid and confiscated in the event of any of the situations described in the following paragraphs. In such cases, the remaining balance on the PASMO PASSPORT will not be refunded.
- (1) If the PASMO PASSPORT is used by someone other than a foreign visitor to Japan
- (2) If a Child PASMO PASSPORT is purchased under false pretenses regarding the intended user’s qualification to receive the card, or if a Child PASMO PASSPORT is used beyond time limit set forth in Article 15, paragraph 3.
- (3) If the PASMO PASSPORT or its monetary balance has been forged, illegitimately modified, or obtained under false pretenses
- (4) If the PASMO PASSPORT is determined to have been intentionally damaged by the user or damaged due to gross negligence
- (5) When it is determined that any other illegitimate activity has taken place
Chapter 4 Damage Refund
When PASMO PASSPORT cannot be used on a terminal device because of damage to the card, a document (hereinafter, a Damaged Card Refund Paper) will be issued that will make it possible to obtain a refund for any remaining balance.
- Upon issuance of the Damaged Card Refund Paper mentioned in the preceding paragraph, the user may, providing the conditions in the following paragraphs are satisfied, apply for a refund at any time from the day following the date of issue of the Damaged Card Refund Paper until 14 days from the day following the PASMO PASSPORT’s expiration date.
- (1) The user must present the Damaged Card Refund Paper issued as described in the preceding paragraph along with the Reference Paper.
- (2) The user must present the relevant PASMO PASSPORT.
- Once the damaged PASMO PASSPORT refund request has been accepted, the user cannot cancel it.
- Notwithstanding the preceding paragraph, the damage refund will not be made under any circumstances if situations set forth in any of the following paragraphs apply.
- '(1) The number embossed on the back of the card cannot be read.
- (2) The circumstance described in Article 17, paragraph 4 pertains.
（→Article 17 Upon Invalidation）
The Company will not be liable for any damages, etc., incurred by the user due to use of PASMO PASSPORT.
Chapter 5 Remaining Balance
Regardless of whether PASMO PASSPORT has passed the expiration date set forth in paragraphs (1) and (3) of Article 15, the user may not apply for a refund of the PASMO PASSPORT balance, even if the PASMO PASSPORT is no longer required.
（→Article 15 Expiration Date）
Chapter 6 Handling by IC Card Issuers Other Than the Company
(Handling of PASMO PASSPORT by IC Card Issuers Other Than the Company)
Notwithstanding the provisions of Article 7, PASMO PASSPORT is handled on routes operated by IC card issuers and routes recognized by the IC card issuers as set forth in the following paragraphs.
- (1) Hokkaido Railway Company
- (2) East Japan Railway Company
- (3) TOKYO MONORAIL CO., LTD.
- (4) Tokyo Waterfront Area Rapid Transit Inc.
- (5) Central Japan Railway Company
- (6) Nagoya Transportation Development Organization Co. Ltd
- (7) MIC Co., Ltd
- (8) SURUTTO KANSAI
- (9) West Japan Railway Company
- (10) Fukuoka City Transportation Bureau
- (11) NIMOCA CO., LTD.
- (12) Kyushu Railway Company
- When an IC card issuer other than the Company handles PASMO PASSPORT in accordance with the preceding paragraph, transport of passengers using PASMO PASSPORT shall be as determined by the relevant IC card issuer.
Chapter 7 Handling of Customer Information
(How the Company Uses Collected Information)
Customer information collected in relation to PASMO PASSPORT is shared between IC card handling businesses and group companies.
- Information is used for the following purposes:
- (1) The Company, IC card handling businesses and group companies use information collected for business analysis, market research, advertising, marketing, making plans for improvement of services and other purposes.
- (2) Provision of collected data
Chapter 8 Miscellaneous Rules
These rules shall be governed by the laws of Japan.
In the event that any dispute requiring adjudication arises between the Company and the user regarding PASMO PASSPORT, the Tokyo District Court or the Tokyo Summary Court shall have exclusive jurisdiction of the first instance with respect thereto.